Re: These Two Matters, Matters to Me!

Subject: Re: These Two Matters, Matters to Me!
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "Keri Morgret" <morgret -at- operamail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:14:14 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keri Morgret" <morgret -at- operamail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: September 08, 2003 01:57 PM

> I must disagree with this statement. There are some universities where you
can get your PhD without first having a master's degree. Stanford University's
School of Education is one such place (I even had a professor there ask me why
I was going for my master's degree - why not just go for my PhD and "settle"
for an MA, as there would be more research positions open to me and it
wouldn't cost nearly as much. As I'm now paying back lots of money in student
loans for my MA, I realize that professor did have a point.

> ----------
> > You must have a master's degree first for any US programs. A PhD program
is
> > not a program in which you can learn fundamental or even intermediate
concepts
> > about technical writing. You would probably do better with a master's
program.
> > A PhD program would require you to produce original research.
> --

That's odd, indeed.

Bonnie Granat
GRANAT EDITORIAL SERVICES