Re: PHD in Tech writing

Subject: Re: PHD in Tech writing
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 12:36:06 -0700 (PDT)

"Andrea Brundt" wrote ...

> I think I agree with Chuck. One of the most valuable qualities in a writer
> is the ability to not just make a good writing decision, but to defend that
> decision to an editor, a coworker or a manager. This ability can come only
> from an understanding of the theory that underpins the practical application
> of writing.

No. Good decisions about documents come from a profound understanding of the
subject matter. You could know every writing and communication theory in the
entire universe, but if you don't understand the content of a document, you'll
never, ever be able to defend your decisions with any degree of credibility.
Theory is not a replacement for practical application. It can help, but its
never a replacement.

Thus, a PhD in tech writing might be fun and interesting, but it is unlikely to
make a person a better technical writer. It might make them very good at
writing papers and defending theories. But in the real world, where things are
chaotic and messy and nobody gives a crap about communication theories, those
skills are almost a hindrance. They are so busy worried about theories and
methods, they fail to learn the subject matter.

And as we all know, the only good writer is a writer who knows the subject
matter.

Andrew Plato

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com