Re: Image Database application wanted

Subject: Re: Image Database application wanted
From: "Andrea Brundt" <andrea_w_brundt -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: JPosada -at- book -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:52:41 +0000

Hi John,

The only applications I know of that would do the trick are "digital asset management" solutions like those sold by Documentum, and they're big stinkin enterprise monsters (BSEMs -- new acronym!), designed for kabillions of images rather than hundreds.

Here's another option --

In an Access table, you can use an OLE datatype to store images. You can import the image files (along with metadata like file type, description, etc) in to the database table using the Access interface.

It could be tricky to get the images in to an FM document in a way that takes advatage of the database. Framescript can connect a Framemaker file to an Access database and other ODBC-compliant datasources, but I don't know if it can select images stored with the OLE datatypes. I defer to any FrameScript experts on that one.

(To see how Framescript can connect to Access and other ODBC compliant datasources, see http://www.framescript.com/Download_Files/Document_Library/2.0/fsldb.pdf.)

Of course, the cost of bulding this might soon exceed the cost of continuing to work with the images as files. But it sure would be fun!

Good luck,
Andrea

John Posada wrote:

Hi, guys...I have several hundred Database Entity Relationship diagram
images.

I'm looking for an application that will allow me to archive them in a
database. Based on my methodologies, the ideal tool would be something like
either:

- Excel with the ability to include each image in a cell and keep the image
within the constraints of the cell
- Access where I can put the image in a field and be able to import that
database into another document, such as FM