RE: technical writer degree programs

Subject: RE: technical writer degree programs
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:16:46 -0500

Chuck Martin wrote:

>One of the attributes of a good TW program, I think, is that a degree
>requires an internship. Thus the graduation requirements require both
>learning and application--and the internship is often a foot in the
door for
>a post-graduate position.

I agree strongly with Chuck's statement. I too had to complete an
internship for my BS requirements. If I had chosen to stay in Minnesota
and work on my Master's, I would have had to complete another (longer)
internship in addition to the one required for the BS. The PhD is the
same, but also requires instructing X number of classes, dissertation,
etc.

I cannot stress how important an internship is, although I am happy in
my current location, I would have jumped at the chance to work at the
company where I worked as an intern. But alas, there was no room in the
budget.

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone

Verizon Airfone JetConnect (SM) now with email
Inflight e-mail, Instant Messaging, and more...