RE: RE: Fun Interview Stories

Subject: RE: RE: Fun Interview Stories
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 21:58:38 -0400

I applied for a couple of documentation jobs at an affiliated company, and didn't have to travel far (or change my clothes) for the interviews. The first was with the manager I'd be reporting to (back in the old days, the manager would screen the resumes first, then hand them to HR). We got along well, he seemed to like my skills and style, and I was scheduled for the second interview. This one was with the HR person -- she didn't seem to like me and showed it. We had never met before, to my knowledge, and she didn't know my manager and knew no one on my team. I was on time, in proper dress (black suit and heels), and didn't smell like cat litter (I checked beforehand with a co-worker -- I'm anosmic).

I can't understand (and never asked) why she took such an obvious dislike -- or who she'd talked to about me beforehand. All I know is, the hostility was coming off her in waves. I wore no perfume (who, me?), lipstick only for makeup, cropped, uncoloured and greying hair, little bitty earrings -- maybe I scared her somehow... she was younger than me... I showed no bloodstains from the previous interview...

The second manager for another position had to leave the room 3 times and finally had to end the interview due to morning sickness. I never did get another chance...