RE: Fostering Teamwork and Communication

Subject: RE: Fostering Teamwork and Communication
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "'dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com'" <dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:31:15 -0400

Dannette

Then make it objective. Treat each of their complaints as bugs. Get a bug
tracking application, or at least, an Excel spreadsheet.

Devote 25% of the meeting to documenting their complaints, which need to be
unemotionalized. They should be prepared to explain how each of their
complaints must be based on how something, from their perspective, is
broken. Include in the documentation at minimum, five elements:

A description of the bug, in objective terms
It's business impact as a customer would see it
The person, by name, who is filing it
The person or department who, in their eyes, owns it.
Priority (I use 1-3 Must Fix, 4-6 Fix if Time, 7 Don't fix)

The trick is to take the emotion out of it. It might also happen that once
there is no fun in it, many of the issues appear trivial.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"Alright, nobody move! I've got a dragon here, and I'm not afraid to use it"
---------- Donkey

**********************************
This electronic mail message contains information that (a) is or may be
CONFIDENTIAL,
PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE,
and (b) is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named herein. If
you are not an
intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and take the steps
necessary to
delete the message completely from your computer system.

Not Intended as a Substitute for a Writing: Notwithstanding the Uniform
Electronic Transaction
Act or any other law of similar effect, absent an express statement to the
contrary,
this e-mail message, its contents, and any attachments hereto are not
intended to represent
an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and are not otherwise
intended to bind
this sender, barnesandnoble.com llc, barnesandnoble.com inc. or any other
person or entity.