Re: Marketing Email - Vent

Subject: Re: Marketing Email - Vent
From: "ROGERS, MARTHA (CONTRACTOR)" <MARTHA -dot- ROGERS -at- DFAS -dot- MIL>
To: "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:24:04 -0500

Al Geist wrote
"After nearly 30 years of writing for a living, I can say that forgoing
that last comma in a series has nothing to do with marketing writers.
If you have a background in journalism (which I do in addition to
electrical and software engineering), you learn before the end of your
first assignment to ditch that last comma. Adding a comma before the
"and" is like the old Monty Python Department of Redundancy Department.
Since part of my task as a technical writer is to be concise and remove
redundancy, that redundant serial comma is gone. . ."

I think the omission of the last serial comma in newspaper writing is not an issue of redundancy; it's AP style.

Martha
Hey look at me: I used a semicolon. Next I'm going to run with scissors.