RE: Suggestions for setting standards for documentation

Subject: RE: Suggestions for setting standards for documentation
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:09:07 -0500

envvy harris wrote:

>Hi All,
>I have been tasked with setting standard for the
>company regarding :
>1. Set the standard for correct document structure
>with ALL required work objects and checklists.
>2. Establish firm guidelines for where all documents
>are stored.
>3. Establish a process/team to regularly evaluate
>compliance with standards and guidelines.
>
>I am looking for ideas how to accomplish this. I have
>been working on the templates. We have multiple proj
>that require the documentation to be completed by
>different teams. I have developed a mini-style guide
>for consistency and a "short Read me first"
>instructions since all templates r in MS Word. Any
>suggestion/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Addressing Point #2- One way to address document control is to store the
documents in a central file on your LAN, and delegate permission to save
revisions, similar to Microsoft SourceSafe. Where I work, only certain
people can access certain files on the LAN, and then only certain people
can save certain files on the LAN. Might mean some more leg work for
your IT department, but it might be less costly than SourceSafe, which
is nice because it will always save a copy of the original document.
Both of these examples are kinda related to each other in how they work,
it is really just up to how you want to go about it. And there are other
avenues you could take, but these are the only two I have real-world
experience using.

Addressing Point #1- It sounds like you are already taking care of this
by creating a template and a style guide.

Addressing Point #3- In my environment, testing documents and procedures
can take days because of schedules and things that pop up during the
day. I place everything in a file on the LAN, and everyone knows where,
so if I usually get feedback whenever they access a document. Since I
created my own template and use only one style guide, most of the
comments are about content-related.

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone

Verizon Airfone JetConnect (SM) now with email
Inflight e-mail, Instant Messaging, and more...