Hyphenation for ESL audiences?

Subject: Hyphenation for ESL audiences?
From: "Marshall, Anna" <amarsha -at- path -dot- org>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:00:07 -0700

Hi all,

When you're writing and editing material for audiences who speak English as
a secondary language, do you tend more or less toward hyphenation?
Specifically, I'm looking for info on compound adjectives or nouns that
could go either way hyphenation-wise. Examples:

Freeze prevention strategies
Cold chain storage

And yes, I know that *most* sentences could be re-written to avoid this
question; however, sometimes I get documents at the last minute, and I need
to make the easiest fix possible in terms of not muddling text-wrapping or
layout.

Thanks,
Anna

Anna Marshall
Communications and Publications Associate
PATH