Re: The Results (Long)/Addendum

Subject: Re: The Results (Long)/Addendum
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:49:22 +0200

If you interview with my company's CTO, he'll probably be wearing the same
thing.

I think the point about attire was that this was not a situation in which shorts and sandals were appropriate, and the candidates had not done their research to determine the attire of the company.

I think that two issues are getting mixed up here:

- What to wear to an interview as a candidate.

- Hot to react - as a candidate - to unusual attire on the part of the interviewer.

There seems to be no disagreement about the first case: If you want to get the job, dress professionally. Usually this means wearing what is standard business attire for your part of the world at the moment. (There may be special cases, but they don't seem to be numerous.)

On the other hand, there seem to be differences of opinion about how to react to, e.g., very casual attire of an interviewer. Some of us advocate shrugging your shoulders, others feel that this shows a lack of respect for the interviewee.

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de