RE: testing candidates

Subject: RE: testing candidates
From: "Cindy Kight" <Cindy -dot- Kight -at- DataMaxGroup -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:23:31 -0500

>Actually, one of the tests I have written in the past is
>How to tie your shoes without using the word "shoelaces"
>Try that for a writing exam! not as easy as it seems.

To which John Posada replies

>Actually, it's easy.

>In the beginning of the instruction, describe the item without using the
>term shoelace and define your own name of it. <snip>

Yes, it's easy - and completely worthless except as a mental exercise. This is no attack on John's humorous response, but it does remind me of 'corporate speak' where people use big words and complex terminology to look more intelligent and/or important than they really are.

Just because you can do something, it doesn't mean you should. A shoelace by any other name just confuses the reader.

/vent :D

Cindy Kight
Technical Communications Mgr.
TSW Solutions, Inc.