Re: testing candidates

Subject: Re: testing candidates
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:56:35 -0700 (PDT)

> ACtually, one of the tests I have written in the
> past is
> How to tie your shoes without using the word
> "shoelaces"
> Try that for a writing exam! not as easy as it
> seems.

I fail to see the usefulness of such an activity. How
does that make it evident to you, the employer, that
your writer can effectively gather information from
the right resources (living, processed pulp, or
electronic), determine what's good and what's crap,
and turn those info fragments into something
intelligible that someone can actually use to do
something?

All these "tests" show is the ability to write around
a problem. It's called creative writing, folks. If you
want to evaluate a technical writer, watch the
candidate think.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com