Re: The Results (Long)/Addendum

Subject: Re: The Results (Long)/Addendum
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:03:06 -0700

Jan Henning wrote:

> Why? IMHO, you'd have the right to be insulted if the interviewer
> intentionally tried to offend you or otherwise did not respect you as a
> fellow human being.

It's called common courtesy. In fact, the interviewer was showing a lack of
respect, just as I would be if I showed up dirty and in casual clothes.

An interview is no different from going to a wedding or a funeral, really. When
I go to an interview, I'm taking up somebody's time (to say nothing of making a
good impression). The interviewer is taking up my time (and, if I seem a likely
candidate, trying to convince me to sign). As a sign of respect to each other,
we both should be reasonably dressed.

Jan Henning wrote:

> - a certain dress standard seems important to you but not to the hiring
> company. So you aren't a good fit - move on.

Not at all. My comments have nothing to do with the corporate culture. I'm not
the type to dress up. I usually yank a tie off within fifty seconds of leaving
an interview, and I wouldn't want to work in a company that insisted that I
wear a suit all the time - although I have worked in places where I kept a suit
on the back of my door for when I needed one for meeting customers.

As I said, it's a matter of courtesy. These aren't my standards - they're the
rules of the game. And if you don't think they matter, try talking to corporate
recruiters some time. You'll be surprised by how many people are rejected
because of how they dress.

And if I have to go through the agonies of wearing a suit and tie, I like a
little reciprocity ;->

--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com 604-421.7177