RE: technical Writing in a Nutshell

Subject: RE: technical Writing in a Nutshell
From: "Bill Burns" <bburns -at- qds-solutions -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:57:20 -0600

>> 4. Again as a designer how do technical writers and
>> editors handle artwork
>> that is deemed offensive by management?

>How do you mean? Naked people? Photos of dismembered
>corpses? If it's offensive, use your head and don't
>include it in the publication.

What's offensive in one culture is often perfectly acceptable in another. I think might be the point behind this question. But, as Goober writes, do the homework. If you write for a locale that is different than that of your management, make sure to have images reviewed by someone native to that locale.

>> 6. As a writer/editor, which is the most important
>> part in language to
>> avoid: Hyperbole, Rhetoric, or Jargon?

>Avoid what doesn't make sense for your audience. Ther
>eis no one correct answer.

But some other aspects to consider are idiom, metaphor, sports analogies, or allusions to art or pop culture. Most of these are culture specific and won't mean the same thing to people from other locales.

Bill Burns
Documentation Supervisor/MS Help MVP
Quality Design Systems
bburns -at- qds-solutions -dot- com