Re: The Results (Long)

Subject: Re: The Results (Long)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: Tamara Reyes-Muralles <trm -at- telusplanet -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:17:18 -0700

Quoting Tamara Reyes-Muralles <trm -at- telusplanet -dot- net>:

>I now have a new appreciation for
> employers.

If I could give some advice, remember what you've learned. Being a consultant
is like looking for a job all the time. You're going to be going to a lot of
interviews if you keep in this path. Your experience on the other side of the
interview table will be invaluable.

> I may have become biased, or just smarter, but I decided I will only
> interview people with writing courses and who are members of STC or a
> writing association.

As other people have pointed out, you're making a hasty assumption. Most
writers' associations have very minimal requirements for memberships. In the
STC's case, all that is required is the money, and no level of skill is
indicated by membership. It's not very surprising, then, that I've met STC
members who were both extremely skilled and ones who were extremely
incompetent, as well as ones of all shades inbetween those extremes.

Instead of this faulty criterion, I suggest that you make a list of skills
based on the resumes that did impress you, and use that to filter people out.
It will probably be far more useful to you.

--
Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com 604-421.7177