Re: Section 508 Compliance and Online Help

Subject: Re: Section 508 Compliance and Online Help
From: "Glenn Emerson" <gemerso1 -at- rochester -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:42:07 -0400

The guidelines for websites are applicable to HTML based help and hypermedia
in general.
A good checklist can be found at WebAIM.org. This is a disability advocacy
website.

The specific rules and requirements are in federal regulations 1194.21 &
.22, if I remember right. Basically it's a matter of making sure that images
have alt tags, links have titles, tables have proper metadata attributes
(scope, row and column header labels, etc.) and mouse-driven events also
have keyboard equivalent event traps.

You can find 508 validation tools at CAST (makers of Bobby) and you will
find detailed info at the W3C site also.

Regards,
Glenn Emerson
Xerox Corp.
glenn -dot- emerson -at- usa -dot- xerox -dot- com