Screen shots for online help

Subject: Screen shots for online help
From: "G. Abenhaim" <g -dot- abenhaim -at- nhc -dot- com>
To: <cgilbert -at- cal -dot- berkeley -dot- edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:32:58 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: G. Abenhaim [mailto:g -dot- abenhaim -at- nhc -dot- com]
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 2:31 PM
To: Carol Gilbert [cgilbert -at- cal -dot- berkeley -dot- edu]
Cc: TECHWR-L

On Monday, August 18, 2003, at 02:24 AM, Anitha R wrote:
> How many of you include screenshots in your Online Help files?

We ALWAYS use screenshots for online help to let users know what they are
supposed to see on screen. If they do not get the extact screen when they
use teh software, then they know they have missed a step. I would say every
page has at least one or two screen shots..the documentation here at my
company must be very detailed. Any less, we would get calls from our clients
complaining.

Screenshots and their description help the users understand more easily.
remember, that you always need to write your documents as "dummy proof"; as
if they never had background knowledge..so even the high level technician
can understand the low level of the application.

Grace