Automatic file downloading?

Subject: Automatic file downloading?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:22:58 -0400

I recall reading somewhere that you can configure an HTML link to a file
(specifically a PDF) so that when you left-click on the link, the file is
downloaded to the local hard disk rather than opened in the browser's helper
application (e.g., the Acrobat Reader plugin for IE).

If you've done this kind of tweaking (probably with Javascript, which I
haven't yet learned), would you be willing to share? I know you can do this
with various plugins for the various authoring packages (we do this in
NetObjects), but I'd prefer to find a "works in all authoring packages"
approach.

Thanks!

(try ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca if you get no response)
580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my
telephone."--Bjarne Stroustrup (originator of C++ programming language)