Re: [Fwd: Re: Avoid the Semicolon in Tech Writing?]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Avoid the Semicolon in Tech Writing?]
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN" <christine -dot- a -dot- anameier -at- usps -dot- gov>, TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:18:58 -0400

>>I find it hard to believe that readers stumble over these things.
>>(Anyone have an actual study to back that up?)

Why not do an informal study. Give several people (ideally typical readers
of your manuals) the example given in another post.

Valid choices are A; B, C, and D; or E.
Circle your choices:

A B C D E

See what percentage of correct answers you get are.

Give several other people the alternate form.
Valid choices are
- A
- B, C, and D
- E
Circle your choices:

A B C D E

See what percentage of correct answers you get are.

To really get useful metrics from the test, ask the participants to time
themselves.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer