Re: Avoid the Semicolon in Tech Writing?

Subject: Re: Avoid the Semicolon in Tech Writing?
From: "Brautigam, Curtis" <cubrautiga -at- state -dot- pa -dot- us>
To: 'TECHWR-L digest' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:21:04 -0400

I have been reading a lot of the post about using semicolons in technical
writing. I do believe that semicolons can have a place in technical writing
if used a certain way. When I took my technical writing training course, the
instructor urged the class to use semicolons in sequences where an action
was followed by a result. For example:

On the Windows desktop, click the Internet Explorer icon; the Internet
Explorer screen appears.

Here is an example of an action (clicking the IE icon) followed by a result
(the IE screen appearing). Do action X; result Y occurs. This is where
semicolons can serve a useful purpose in technical documentation.

Chaim Brautigam
Descriptive Statistician 1
Center for Workforce Information
PA Department of Labor and Industry