Re: [Fwd: Re: Avoid the Semicolon in Tech Writing?]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Avoid the Semicolon in Tech Writing?]
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:39:12 -0700

Bruce Byfield wrote:

dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com wrote:

I'll repeat: If the semicolon is used correctly, the reader won't
even notice it.

I disagree strongly.

So we disagree. I believe what I wrote.

You can do anything you want - or that your boss will let
you get away with.

I'm the boss. :)

But the point of the original question was whether using the semi-colon in technical documentation was a good idea or not.

No, it was whether anyone else had heard of this "avoid semicolons" stricture.

Using a sentence fragment doesn't automatically make a sentence unclear.

No, but there's no reason to use them unnecessarily.

This is bad:

If so-and-so, do A. Otherwise, do B.

This is good:

If so-and-so, do A; otherwise, do B.

If you want to use *those* words, you need *that* punctuation; otherwise, you have shoddy writing...even if you get the message across.

...if you want to
write them the way I showed, the semicolon is necessary.

Since the way you showed involves the semicolon, this is simply a circular argument.

Again, if you want to use those words, you need that punctuation.

On the other hand, if you think this:

A, or B and C and D, or E

is clearer than this:

A; B, C, and D; or E

then write it that way. We can disagree about that, too.

--David

P.S. Of course, you won't get to write it that way in
my department. :)

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

HTML Indexer 4 includes fully integrated cross-references, target frames
and windows, multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries,
and more!

http://www.html-indexer.com/