Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances

Subject: Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "Jan Cohen" <familyforever -at- mindspring -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:34:03 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Cohen" <familyforever -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>; "TECHWR-L"
Sent: August 15, 2003 11:35 AM

Well, I was the only one bitching and moaning, Jan! ; )
Thank you for clarifying, and all is forgiven.

No need to threaten though. Also, if you would be so kind
> as to resend the message you say you sent me privately, I'll take a look at
> what your take on this is. Unfortunately, I never received it and it may
> have bounced given the blackout we experienced here in the Northeast.

I'll send it to you privately again, just for laffs.

> > From my
> > > perspective, nobody owes anyone anything, and the concept of fair when
> > > applied to a particular requirement an employer might have to fill their
> > > needs somehow doesn't enter the picture. You're either qualified, or
> you
> > > get qualified. If it's something you want to do and can get qualified
> at,
> > > you pursue what you have to in order to fill the requirements. If it's
> > > something that's out of your reach for whatever reasons, you focus on
> > > something else, doing what you have to, until you find something you
> like.

Yes, well, that was indeed my main point--that I constantly see jobs for which
I am otherwise quite qualified, and have to say, "No, you can't even apply for
that one." "Careful, now, just pretend you didn't see that job." "Go on to
the next job description, and forget about this job that didn't tell you that
you needed a clearance NOW until you got to the end of the 2000-word job
description." "Keep going, girl. You'll find something."

> > A security clearance is not like a college degree that you can go out and
> get.
> > If you think it is, you are mistaken.
>
> I never said that. Read my paragraph again. What I did imply was that
> sometimes there are things that are simply out of our reach and no matter
> how hard we try, we might not be able to obtain them. In your case, this
> *might* mean obtaining a security clearance prior to be employed by someone
> who requires such.
>
> Btw, I'm a 20-year, retired veteran of the USAF. Had a security clearance
> then, and maintained it during my first job after retirement. I was also in
> charge of logistics during one part of my military career or another, and
> dealt with a great deal of classified material. And because of my extensive
> experience with classified information, I was assigned the additional duty
> of alternate facility security officer during that first job after departing
> the Air Force.
>
> I usually am never mistaken about security clearances.

Yes, I certainly misinterpreted your remarks. Thanks very much for clarifying.

Bonnie Granat
GRANAT EDITORIAL SERVICES
http://www.editors-writers.info
Overnight service available