RE: Another tragic case of not reading the manual

Subject: RE: Another tragic case of not reading the manual
From: George Mena <George -dot- Mena -at- esstech -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:08:26 -0700

In my opinion, this is a case where the laundry's chief engineer and the
engineer on duty probably both need to go to jail, along with some upper
management folks who run the laundry. Good stuff for realizing a wrongful
death suit, at the bare minimum. Punitive financial compensation is also
clearly mandated here, both against the laundry, the laundry management
staff, the manufacturer, and the design engineers employed by the
manufacturer.

The user's not the one to blame. The company and the manufacturer are to
blame. This is an industrial accident that never should have happened. With
proper training of the trainers (!) as well as the maintenance crew, this
accident probably doesn't happen. Further, there should be liability imposed
on the manufacturer for not providing adequate signage on the machine, along
with clear

This thing stinks worse than the Port Chicago Disaster of 1944. Today, Port
Chicago is known as the Concord Naval Weapons Station in California.

Relevant links to THAT event are provided here, courtesy of a Yahoo search:

http://www.usmm.org/portchicago.html

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq80-1.htm

http://www.house.gov/georgemiller/rel32403.html

It's my fervent hope that justice for the dead man's estate is of better
quality than the justice denied those men who survived the Port Chicago
Disaster.

The user is blameless here. Those above him clearly are not, in my opinion.

George