RE: Salary Negotiation Advice

Subject: RE: Salary Negotiation Advice
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techpubs -at- genek -dot- com>
To: cor -at- techwritercor -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: 14 Aug 2003 18:05:23 GMT

You don't mention whether or not you currently have a job,
what the impact would be if you didn't get/take either
of the jobs you mentioned, and whether that $22k might
actually be a living wage in that "very small city."
These are all things you need to consider. If your
situation is that you can afford to pass on the offer,
that's what I would do after already telling the company
that I couldn't go below $30k. If, OTOH, you're at the
end of your unemployment and facing imminent eviction,
it does tend to change your perspective a lot. Of course,
the first thing you should do is contact the in-town
company and find out what's happening there. There's
nothing wrong with telling them that you have a definite
offer in your hand and need an answer regarding your
interview (because it's the truth).

Gene Kim-Eng