Cold calling by sectors, WAS: So many jobs...

Subject: Cold calling by sectors, WAS: So many jobs...
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:30:12 -0400

I'd like to change the subject a little.

In this discussion, it was mentioned more than once that the best way for an
employer to procure qualified help is to raid the resources of their
competition.

Within ethical boundaries, job seekers can do the same thing. By ethical
boundaries, I mean you are more valuable if you know how the world works
around your employer's world, which includes the same world as your
employer's competitors. Because of working at B&N.com, I have a pretty good
idea of how large webs for ecommerce works. If was looking for a job, I'd
look for openings in that world...might not I inquire at Amazon.com or
ebay.com if I wanted to more to Seattle or CA (which I don't)?

Note that this is different than cashing in on proprietary information and
techniques about how B&N.com does something...that is bad.

Anyway, go to the following link at yahoo:
http://biz.yahoo.com/p/sectors.html

This page lists all the sectors for commercial companies, my company being ;
Services; Retail (Specialty).

In that sector is B&N.com along with a whole bunch of companies in the same
sector. If you click on the link for each of them, you get the location
right on that page...a targeted address for cold calling if I ever saw one.

After all...if you are experienced in a particular sector, might not the
other companies in that sector (and related sectors) consider that of
interest?

John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
"If you're afraid to be second-guessed, you better not make any decisions."
--Hal Sutton, America's 2004 Ryder Cup Captain

**********************************
This electronic mail message contains information that (a) is or may be
CONFIDENTIAL,
PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE,
and (b) is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named herein. If
you are not an
intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and take the steps
necessary to
delete the message completely from your computer system.

Not Intended as a Substitute for a Writing: Notwithstanding the Uniform
Electronic Transaction
Act or any other law of similar effect, absent an express statement to the
contrary,
this e-mail message, its contents, and any attachments hereto are not
intended to represent
an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and are not otherwise
intended to bind
this sender, barnesandnoble.com llc, barnesandnoble.com inc. or any other
person or entity.