Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances

Subject: Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:56:54 -0700 (PDT)

"Bonnie Granat" wrote...

> It is unfair to expect people to have what they cannot get on their own. If
> jobs are being advertised on the Internet, that tells me that the "normal*
> ways that companies have of filling these jobs is not getting results and
that
> the companies are resorting to using the "outside." If they are going outside
> the normal word-of-mouth, referral type scenario, they should open the jobs
> the general public and not a special class of people.

Bonnie, I explained one method you could use to obtain clearance (get a job at
a place that does gov work and work your way up into a position that requires
security clearance).

So there are ways that you can obtain security clearance.

> In "normal" times, the person gets the job and then gets the clearance. It is
> unfair because it offers jobs to a special class of people and no one can
> enter that class by his or her own abilities.

"Normal times?" What are those? Pre-9/11, post 8/45, pre-columbian, AD, BC,
Thursday in Rome? When is normal? (And what time is love?)

As many people have pointed out, you do not get the job then get the clearance.
The clearance tends to come out of existing work or military involvement.
Security clearance has never been something that was just handed out to anybody
that wanted it.

I see this really as no different that job experience. If the job listed 5+
years of expertise with PDQ Technology, you wouldn't call that unfair. This
isn't really any different. Clearance is merely something that takes a while to
obtain, just like job experience.

> Yes, yes, I know. So what? Jobs are now being offered to a special class of
> people and no one can enter that class without first getting a job that
> requires the thing that makes the class special. Nothing I can do can allow
me
> to enter that special class of people. No skills are involved. That is
> precisely what makes it UNFAIR.

Bonnie, I explained a method you could use to obtain security clearance. You
dismissed it. If you aren't willing to do what it takes to obtain this
clearance, then I'm afriad you're out of options. Look for work elsewhere.

Andrew Plato

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com