Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances

Subject: Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:07:15 -0700 (PDT)

> I did not say the high unemployment rate was due to
> security-clearance
> requirements. I said it was making a bad situation
> worse for unemployed people like me.

Right, but what can you do (except apply for clearance
and hope that pays off)? It so happens that these
particular jobs have that requirement. As far as I
know, if you had clearance with a former
employer/contract, that clearance is void upon
termination of the agreement. So, candidates looking
to fill these positions must need to carry their own,
which IMHO is unlikely. So, why not apply anyway,
noting clearances you've held in the past, and see
what happens?

> > If you don't have the skills that employers are
> demanding, then acquire
> those
> > skills. You can't expect employers to lower their
> requirements, just to
> "fill
> > slots."
> >

> Who said anything about not having the skills? Even
> a quick reading of my
> initial post and subsequent comments will show that
> I am talking about
> security clearances, not skills.

Skills or not, clearance was listed as a requirement.
In my experience, job requirements are a wish list of
sorts. So, go in with what you have, put your best
foot forward, and see what happens.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com