RE: Frame Maker > Help > Frame Maker?

Subject: RE: Frame Maker > Help > Frame Maker?
From: Kevin Cheek <cheek1 -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: Bill Swallow <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:15:54 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bill Swallow <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com> wrote:
> The problem is, as several have already pointed out, that
> RoboHelp is not a single-sourcing tool (no matter how much
> they tell you otherwise). It just doesn't work that way. Any
> time you spend time tweaking output to make it fit your
> needs, you're abandoning single-sourcing, as you'll have to
> perform the same or more manual cleanup every single time
> you churn out the output. There is a better way; get a
> single-sourcing toolset.

This is why, back in the mists of time in 1992, when I first started
to investigate this problem, I went with Doc2Help over RoboHelp. With
Word (and I had a 600+ page manual formatted over 9 separate linked
chapter files), it worked very well for single-sourcing. All of the
tweaking for help, I did in different color text, hidden fields,
footnotes, and bookmarks. Then creating the help was a one click
process. Furthermore, since Doc2Help was just a set of WordBasic
macros, it was extensible.

Is Doc2Help still around? Is it still a good tool for single-sourcing
from Word?

WebWorks can be made to do that with Frame beautifully! However, it
requires WebWorks Professional and a LOT of painful tweaking to get
there.

Regards,

-Kevin Cheek