RE: Indexing style refs

Subject: RE: Indexing style refs
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: 'Sean Hower' <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:35:59 -0400

I thought I was talking to the wall...thanks.

John Posada
Special Projects
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com

John wrote:
You misunderstood, or I wasn't clear. I meant using the thesaurus in
CREATING the index. It takes away the skill between knowing how to create an
index that contains the terms needed to find something, and an index with so
many words that you would eventually find what you are looking for with a
dart.
=======
No, it's not just you. I happen to agree with you. At some point, you have
to stop dumping total responsibility onto the documentation and dish a
little of that responsibility out to the reader/user. I mean, is it the
documentation's fault if it doesn't warn a user that dowsing a computer with
gasoline and setting fire to it may result in memory loss not to mention
damage to the surrounding area, peripherals, and any human relationships the
user may have, and any other possibility that we currently haven't thought
of?