RE: How do you spell it?

Subject: RE: How do you spell it?
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -at- darrenbarefoot -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:29:38 -0700

You know, I still write 'Web site'. Yet, I'm wavering on both the
capitalization and the two words. My criteria for capitalization was
that the Web (and Internet) were like a geographical place, and
therefore a proper noun. My criteria for two words was that 'Web' was an
adjective that described 'site'.

'Web' is less of a proper noun than it used to be. A Web site can exist
publically, privately, only on your local machine, on your mobile phone,
etc. Therefore, 'Web' is less a place and more of a concept.

As I understand it, terms that are originally two words tend to
gravitate toward each other. I can't think of a great example right now,
but more and more I'm seeing email instead of e-mail (which is a
mediocre example). So, it's probably natural for the term to evolve into
'website'. DB.