Upgrading Framemaker and Distiller

Subject: Upgrading Framemaker and Distiller
From: dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:40:37 -0400

Hi all,
I searched the archives but couldn't find what I was looking for. I thought
I recalled that not too long ago, someone (John Posada?) posted a message
about having problems with needing a serial number for Adobe Distiller when
trying to install the upgrade that came with Framemaker. I'm not positive
that was the exact problem, but it was the problem I encountered yesterday.
I found a *partial* solution, so I thought I'd share it for the records.

I upgraded Frame 5.5 to 7.0 a couple of weeks ago. At the end of the
install, it prompted me to upgrade Distiller (from 4.0 to 5.0.5), but I
chose not to. Yesterday, I realized that I needed that upgrade. Distiller
4.0 and Frame 7.0 just weren't cooperating. So, I browsed the Frame CD,
found the Distiller install, and launched it. It first prompted me to
uninstall the old version, which I did. It then asked me for a serial
number. Neither the serial for Frame 7.0 or my old Acrobat serial number
worked. BTW, I then realized that the uninstall had taken not only
Distiller, but the whole Acrobat suite.

What I had to do was completely uninstall Frame, then re-install it, and
install Distiller right away with the Frame install. That seemed to use the
Frame serial number and work fine. However, that left me with only
Distiller. No Acrobat. Luckily, I'd been planning on upgrading Acrobat
anyway. So, I did a custom install of 5.0, choosing not to install Distiller
since it was already there. Obviously, if I hadn't had the Acrobat upgrade,
I'm not sure what I would have done.

Hope this helps someone!

Dannette Thompson
Senior Technical Writer
dthompson -at- foundationsoft -dot- com <mailto:dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com>

Foundation Software, Inc. <http://www.foundationsoft.com>
800-246-0800 ext. 213
The #1 Accounting Software for Labor-Intensive Contractors