Re: environment

Subject: Re: environment
From: "Gururaj B S" <gururaj_bs -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 17:48:26 +0530

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 9:07 PM

> On 30 Jul 2003 at 12:57, Oja, Wayne wrote:
>
> > >What says the body? Do you prefer the quiet environment of offices,
> > >or the more exposed one of cubicles?
>
> An office? What in the world is *that*? :)
>
> In the 25 years I have worked, I have always been in a cube. I don't
> mind it -- I have learned quite a bit "over the wall", including what's
> going on in a project, the solution to a customer support problem,
> etc., and I've been able to help out others when I had an answer to
> their problem. Plus, there's always the occasional friendly banter
> that occurs, and then we all get back to work. I am also in the
> enviable position of having a "window seat". Because our offices are
> located in an (as of yet) undeveloped area, my views are of the pine
> trees on our lawn, horses in the field across the way, and towering
> mountains both to the east and west. Occasionally, we have an
> exciting show, such as a two kestrels fighting over a vole or horses
> romping wildly as the wind kicks up.

<<Guru
I agree with you Dana. Does the noise really matter? The cacophony is
sometimes better than what your boss says! Why sometimes??Most of the
times:)
It's good to exchange your views with your peers. Socializing helps! As long
as a terrier does not occupy your place and start barking, or a horse trying
to prance in front of you (not ferrari!!), it's okay to put up with
friendly/uncongenial banter and work in a noisy environment.

> Of course, my idyllic life may soon end, since someone whose voice
> and condescending tone, which are like fingernails on a blackboard
> to me, is getting ready to move into the neighborhood. It may be
> time for headphones!
>
> In the meantime, I appreciate the fact that I feel more in tune with
> what is going on in the company, and I'm not isolated in a dreary
> little office all day.
>
> Dana W.

<<Guru
Absolutely! If you have a window seat, you know what's happening in the
company, in addition to what's happening outside:)

Cheers
Gururaj