Re: environment

Subject: Re: environment
From: "J. Ressler" <jressler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:15:27 -0600

I'm in! I'm in!

For the longest time I could not work while listening to music. I couldn't study, I couldn't write, I couldn't do anything that require any more than 1 of my 2 brain cells. Then I started working as a techwriter.

My first contract was in an open warehouse like office with only a thin plastic sound curtain between my desk and the manufacturing lab. On the mundane days, where I was doing formatting work I would listen to music...then I realized that while listening to music I didn't have to hear the band saws and hammers.

Now, I work in a decent sized cube (12 x 8ish plus some) that provides a little more privacy, but there are still plenty of distractions. I miss the open office when I could hear the problems in hardware engineering (I tracked and solved more than my share of problems), and I could see what was going on in software, it really kept me informed. The new office has increased my investigative skills (along with incorporating Posada-like techniques to gather information).

I can't work without music. It helps to filter out the office banter, the fax machine and incoming phone calls. I uploaded all my CDs and pick music for the task. James Taylor, Dave Matthews, Wallflowers, Lester Young, David Gray, Dave Brubeck, Ryan Adams...the list and genres vary. If it formatting or editing....arghh...I have to put on classical, otherwise I dread the task.

Justin
Who can never be upset while listening to James Taylor.

Dog lover? Check out the photo gallery at : www.ccicolorado.org
"Exceptional Dogs for Exceptional People"

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com