RE: Typemarking

Subject: RE: Typemarking
From: "Bill Darnall" <darcom -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:48:34 -0700

Dick,

I believe I am 100% accurate about typemarking.

The Prentice-Hall site you referenced has some good information for authors.
However, the site does not provide explicit information for proofreaders,
copyeditors, or compositors. It does suggest what they may do. By the way, I
used to typeset and package books for a division of Prentice-Hall. We did a
lot of typemarking. Prentice-Hall references The Chicago Manual of Style
(CMS). The CMS provides a complete description of how pages are to be marked
for publication. It appears the issue is who marks what on the pages. I
would argue that the author does not do the final markup. However, today's
authors can provide much more in the way of page makeup than they could when
manuscripts were typewritten. By the time a proofreader sees the typeset
copy it has probably already been spaced. Nevertheless, if the spacing is
wrong, it is the job of the proofreader to identify the error. For example,
the common marks for "close-up" have little to do with grammar. They are a
particular subset of typemarking.

With all due respect to your interpretation of the information found on the
Prentice-Hall site, I stick by the information found printed in the CMS.
Typemarking for publication requires spacing information and other detailed
typographic information. It does not matter if the typographic information
is referenced by some code such as ( H1 or H2 or, etc.). Spacing is an
essential ingredient of the printed page. Typographic details are an
essential part of composition. If the compositor has the book designer's
specifications, then the proofreader's entry of the "code" H1 is sufficient.
The code specifies the spacing. Finally, if the compositor makes a mistake,
and the proofreader is not allowed to specify typesetting parameters, who
does inform the compositor?

Carol wanted to know about typemarking. Typemarking means marking a
manuscript for typesetting. The instructions may be implicit or explicit. In
any event, the compositor must know how to interpret the typemarking in
order to typeset the copy. Proofreading or copyediting a page proof requires
considerably less typemarking than a typemarking raw manuscript.

Bill D.
Carol,

Bill's response is partially accurate. However, I think what you are looking
for
is the following definition I found on Prentice-Hall's site:

So typemarking is really just specifying which styles apply where. It does
not
so much involve specifying typesetting parameters.

Dick

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com