RE: Creating a Master Doc in Word

Subject: RE: Creating a Master Doc in Word
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:36:21 -0400

Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote on 07/30/2003 04:57:18 PM:

> If this was just my reaction, then people would be justified in trotting
out
> the old cliche about a good worker not blaming his tools. However, when
the
> overwhelming majority of users have the same problems, then I feel
perfectly
> justified in concluding that the problem is the tool. Loyalty may be an
> admirable trait, but when it's misplaced, then it becomes highly
questionable.

I think a very important part to the old cliche is often omitted and
forgotten. It should probably be: "It's a poor workman that blames the
tools, when in the hands of another they produce masterpieces." After all,
it would be perfectly acceptable for a carpenter to blame their tools for
the lousy job they did pounding in all the nails if the only tool they
were provided with was a screwdriver.

The cliche is particularly tired because it doesn't address why the
workman is attempting to blame the tools. Is it the time it takes, the
quality of the work, or being able to progress at all that is lacking?

There's also the small issue of when the cliche came about and in what
field. It originates in a time when a professional would probably make
their own tools or at least have a large hand in their upkeep and
maintenance. Only Microsoft has a hand in improving/maintaining Word.

Bringing out the cliche is resorting to blind faith in the tool and the
capability of being able to do anything at all with it. It's as pathetic
and blind as disparaging a tool you're not familiar with.

Eric L. Dunn

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com