Re: Bug Tracking Application

Subject: Re: Bug Tracking Application
From: "Robert Plamondon" <robert -at- plamondon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:13:30 -0700

I've seen a lot of bug-tracking systems come and go. The main issue is not
software, but in the commitment to actually report and track the bugs. The
most successful groups I've worked with did so not because their
bug-tracking software was any good (it stank), but because the manager was
committed and relentless about getting bugs reported, assigned, fixed,
tested, and closed. He probably would have been nearly as successful with
3x5" index cards in a shoebox.

Where documentation errors are concerned, I am usually in the position of
having to fix all of them myself, so features involving assigning it are not
particularly relevant. An email folder for open bugs and another one for
closed ones strikes me as adequate in this case.

Of course, the faster you fix them, the less you have to track them. A bug
you can fix on the spot never makes it onto the to-do list.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon
President, High-Tech Technical Writing

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com