Re: Neilsen makes sense but not amends

Subject: Re: Neilsen makes sense but not amends
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:59:57 -0700 (PDT)

> Gosh, it's fun bashing Nielsen. Do the insults also
> apply to those of us who think that he raises some
> intelligent points in the article?

You know, I agree with his points with regard to
on-web implementation.

BUT...

He deserves every ounce of what he's received based on
his delivery and blanket claims.

All his suggestions on improving the online reading of
PDFs make perfect sense. I won't deny that. But
really, the claims he makes are from a very skewed
perspective, and the language he uses to make his
points is extremely unfair to the PDF technology. Much
of what he condemns is a result of bad authoring, and
much of his "solution" discussions are, at least for
me, "Duh" statements.

Of course you should tell users the link is to a PDF,
and of course you should put the filesize info next to
the link (I think # of pages is somewhat irrlevant
though, possibly not in some cased). But, you know, it
all comes down to common sense and common courtesy.

Dunno. Good points, bad delivery.

- Goober

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com