RE: Active voice / passive voice studies

Subject: RE: Active voice / passive voice studies
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:52:33 -0400

> I have a bit of trouble with the original question. It presupposes an
> absolute answer. Yet, if an absolute answer existed, then grammar
> checkers would be reliable, and people could learn to write far more
> easily than they do.

That was the whole point of my original response. Different audiences,
different contents, different purposes...all these combine to indicate the
right means of delivery style. Delivery style should not be the determining
factor for how we write content.

Granted, in a majority of the times, active is preferable. However, I would
hope that it was determined to be preferable because it was chosen, not
because it was determined that it is always best, period.

John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
"If you're afraid to be second-guessed, you better not make any decisions."
--Hal Sutton, America's 2004 Ryder Cup Captain

ROBOHELP X4 - THE INDUSTRY STANDARD IN HELP AUTHORING
Buy RoboHelp by July 31st and receive a $100 mail-in rebate!
Find out more about RoboHelp X4: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com