Re: Terms not to use in Error Messages

Subject: Re: Terms not to use in Error Messages
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:25:01 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Seema" <seema27 -at- fastmail -dot- fm>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Cc: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: July 27, 2003 10:58 AM

> Dick, thanks for the examples, insight and near-guidelines.
>
> The requirement is for an editing activity, not for a writing activity.
> Such a list would help me speed up the edit cycle.

Are you creating a style guide for your writers? What goes into the style
guide must be the result of a collaboration between editors and writers. What
words are avoided in your company is something that must be determined BY your
company. I would assume that you are not simply developing a list of words for
editing purposes without having writers understand what the policy is. In
other words, what I'm saying very quickly is that you cannot determine on your
own, apart from the writers, what words shall or shall not be acceptable. If
I've understood you incorrectly, please forgive me.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.editors-writers.info

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com