RE: single sourcing in Intercom

Subject: RE: single sourcing in Intercom
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:55:25 -0700 (PDT)

Sean Brierley writes:
The latest STC Intercom is out. There's an interesting
article in it on single-sourcing using XML.
I'm not down with it. Whaddaya all think?

Haven't gotten the issue yet, but yes I agree. XML is perfect for single sourcing. I think it's best used on large projects or projects that require any amount of customization.

BUT, I think it's overkill for smaller projects, or "plain" projects like a standard HTML help or web-based help. The time it takes to set up XML (and all of its associated technologies) outweighs the benefits in these smaller projects.

That said, there are some uses for XML within smaller/plain projects. TOCs, Index, and Glossaries are a perfect place to use XML no matter the size of your project.

"And in the morning, I'm makin waffles." ~ Donkey
Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com