RE: Web services (was Re: new tech writer)

Subject: RE: Web services (was Re: new tech writer)
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -at- darrenbarefoot -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:09:13 -0700

Hi,
I've been writing for a Web services company for about 2.5 years now. In
case anybody's interested, the big acronyms are:

* Web Services Description Language (WSDL)
* Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP)
* Universal Description, Discovery, and Integration (UDDI)

Though UDDI is fading fast. The business acronyms du jour are EAI
(Enterprise Application Integration), BPM (business process management)
and ESB (enterprise services bus). By way of shameful self promotion, I
wrote an introduction to Web services a while back
(http://www.capescience.com/education/primer/index.shtml). If you're
interested in ESB, here are two articles:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/06/13/24FEesb_1.html?web
http://www.looselycoupled.com/blog/2003_07_13_lc.htm#105836683995371084

There's a big standards battle raging (and isn't there always?) at the
moment over Web services. Here's an article on that:
http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-1026889.html?tag=fd_lede1_hed.

In terms of conferences, there are many. This is cheating a bit, but my
client's Events page lists most of the major Web services conferences
over the past couple of years:
http://www.capeclear.com/news/events/archive.shtml. Hope that helps. DB.

Darren Barefoot
Words. Words. Words.
http://www.darrenbarefoot.com

> By coincidence, I was doing a search for the term "business
> process definition" for ideas on a section of doc I'm
> starting and what do I get as a hit? A mention of a
> conference coming up this fall on, yes, web services:

http://brainstorm-group.com/bsgweb/index.asp?conf=2378515370

The interesting part is the topics that are considered a part of web
services; they're pretty widespread and I'm pretty sure the
environments where we are effective

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com