RE: Work-for-hire question

Subject: RE: Work-for-hire question
From: "GeneK" <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 18 Jul 2003 13:00:52 PDT

This is a question that comes up periodically on another
mail list I subscribe to (architectural modeling and
rendering), and I seem to be the only person on that list
with any experience in the matter. There are two separate
cases that usually need to be explained to reviewers: what
the default copyright law says, and what your particular
contract agreement says. Your understanding represents the
arrangement that I see most commonly. However, if by some
inexplicable turn of events your contract says nothing at
all about IP ownership and the client has inserted a "work
for hire" clause, then any new content you create as a part
of your consultancy might very well belong to them. But
I'm with David on the question of how to respond to the
reviewer - refer it to your contracts/legal people and save
yourself from an endless circular discussion that will make
the longest thread on any mailing list seem like a walk in
the park.

Gene Kim-Eng