Re: Learning to code on the cheap

Subject: Re: Learning to code on the cheap
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:43:39 -0700 (PDT)

Your question was about code, but I didn't see anyone
mention databases. All code eventually leads to a
database (usually), so learning about databases is the
other half of learning about code. To understand what
the code is doing with the data you'll need to know
how to safely use SQL to view the database. Also be
aware that much program logic can be stuffed inside
the database as stored procedures.

In 1994 or so, in an effort to become more 'technical'
(prompted by this list IIRC, thank you Andrew and
others) I signed up for two Continuing Ed night
classes at my local university. One was VB, the other
was Databases. I credit these two classes with
orienting me toward working with code and thus,
developers.

I was very fortunate with the database class. The
teacher was a senior data architect for a major bank.
The first half of the class was learning logical and
physical data modeling. The second half was
implementing the models in Access. Now, most
programmers would sneer if they heard about my class
in Access. But via this class, I learned perhaps 80%
of what I needed to know to work with Oracle as a TW.

Mike O.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com