Re: Trying to create a linked index in Word

Subject: Re: Trying to create a linked index in Word
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:00:09 -0700

technical -at- theverbalist -dot- com wrote:

> Can Word do what I'm asking it to do?

Not to my knowledge, no.

> Can a pdf do what I'd like it to do?

Yes, even a PDF you create from Word!

You just need a little tool called Sonar Bookends Activate from Virginia Systems (www.virginiasystems.com).

I've been using this tool for about two and a half years now. The current version does several things, but I still use it for the one thing it's always done, which to make the page numbers in your index "clickable."

The one caveat is that you shouldn't use page ranges to create index entries like

foo 9-19

If you do, I believe only the first number (9, in this example) will be a hyperlink.

In case it's not clear, I have no interest in the company that makes this tool, I'm just a satisfied customer. Be sure to get Sonar Bookends *Activate*--I know nothing about their other products (some of which have very similar names).

--David

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

HTML Indexer 4 includes fully integrated cross-references, target frames
and windows, multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries,
and more!

http://www.html-indexer.com/

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com