RE: problems creating PS file - please help

Subject: RE: problems creating PS file - please help
From: "Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN" <christine -dot- a -dot- anameier -at- usps -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:07:46 -0500

I thought I'd add my two cents to the "how to make PRN files work with
Distiller" conversation... You can change the .PRN file type to be
opened by Distiller by default. That way, you can name it without the
quote marks and just double-click on the file in Windows Explorer.

To get to that convenient point takes a little doing--steps may vary a
little in other versions of Windows, but in XP you'd:

1. From the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, select Folder Options.
(you'll have to imagine the boldface on those interface-element names,
this being text and all <g>) 2. Select the File Types tab and locate the
.PRN file extension in the list.
3. At "Opens With," click Change. The result may vary depending on
whether your system has any idea what to do with PRN files.
* If you get the "Windows cannot open this file" dialog box, select
Select this program from a list, and then select Distiller from the
list. If Distiller is not in the list, click Browse and locate it,
usually under C:\Program Files\Adobe...
* If you get the Open With dialog box showing a list of applications,
select Distiller. If Distiller is not in the list, click Browse and
locate it.
4. Click OK.
5. In the Folder Options dialog box, click Close.

If you're going to be working with PRN files for the foreseeable future,
it's probably worth doing this.

I have never really been able to get the Acrobat toolbar working--in
various cases, either I didn't have the correct privileges for the
Acrobat setup to install the toolbar (Word was on a network drive), or
the toolbar would come and go for no apparent reason, or the button
simply didn't work. I work mostly with shorter PDFs, and I've gotten
used to putting in hyperlinks manually. Hate to admit that I gave up
trying to figure it out, but there it is.

Christine

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com