Re: A sticky contractor situation: no pay yet

Subject: Re: A sticky contractor situation: no pay yet
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 03:53:23 -0700 (PDT)

> I turned in my first invoice 2 weeks ago; the 15th
> day is Monday. But last
> week I was talking ever day with the owner, saying
> that I'd really
> appreciate him cutting a check, and by mid-week, he
> was saying that a check
> is in the mail and I should get it by the end of the
> week. I returned home
> on Friday, no check. Not on Saturday either.

What is their accounts payable schedule? I know many
companies that handle accounts payable on a monthly
basis. There's no fault for them doing so. Plus, you
SHOULD wait until Monday before getting too worried.
Give tjem the benefit of the doubt until the
acceptable timeframe passes.

You can't take back the work you already performed,
but you can opt to produce no further work for them
until you get paid. That's a bit of a drastic
approach, and I warn you to approach that carefully.
You don't want to screw yourself out of the rest of
the contract (if you think money is tight now...).

More times than not, the hiring manager or company
owner is very detatched from the payment process. They
will do what they can to get the ball rolling, but in
the end you're waiting on the accounting staff to do
the paperwork and cut you the check.

If I were you, I'd keep calm and take it day by day.
Find out what you can about the situation and remind
them of your late payment, and if by the end of the
third week you still don't get a check, then start
exercising your options.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sbc.yahoo.com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com