Re: solo writer--how do you keep up, etc?

Subject: Re: solo writer--how do you keep up, etc?
From: "Robert Plamondon" <robert -at- plamondon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:16:52 -0700

>How do you advance your skills and also your career,
>especially in this time of reduced (or absent)
>training budgets?

It helps if you like studying things on your own -- it's a good trait if
you're going to be in the biz.

In general, I've found that formal training is not an efficient way to use
your time in a field where you already have some expertise. Just buy the
book and work your way through it. When stepping off into the deep end,
though, training can be invaluable. When I went to training courses for
high-end software packages like Interleaf, I didn't learn a lot because I'd
already read the manual (Interleaf had excellent manuals in the early days).
On the other hand, when I was making the transition from individual
contributor to manager, I found that classes helped a lot.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon
President, High-Tech Technical Writing

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com