Re: Okay all you independent contractors

Subject: Re: Okay all you independent contractors
From: Michael West <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 07:59:34 +1000

Gordon Graham writes:

> There are people on this list who do some marketing writing... and I'm sure
> most of us try to stick to the facts, tell the truth, and clarify the
> benefits of the products we write about, rather than "hoodwink" and
> "bamboozle" people.

Of course you're right. I've done marketing collateral
myself. I was responding to a post that seemed to be
defending an obfuscatory approach to business writing--
that is, an approach in which to goal is not to clarify
things, but to leave the reader feeling bewildered.

Certainly not all, or even most, marcom takes this
approach. It is probably most commonly found in
the reports and presentations of consulting firms.

My real point is that it is not a desirable approach
for technical writers to take in our typical role--
which is to clarify, explain, help, and instruct.

--
Mike West
Melbourne

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com