Spell-checking documents with lots of code?

Subject: Spell-checking documents with lots of code?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:24:36 -0400

David Castro wonders: <<I work on documents that have lots of code samples
embedded in them. Code uses lots of variable
names and such that do not exist in the FrameMaker dictionary (nor should
they). This means that, if I *was* to spell-check the document, it would
take me hours of either adding weird snippets of text to the dictionary, or
telling FrameMaker to allow it in the document. Does ... anyone have a
solution for it?>>

Can't speak to how Frame handles this, but most word processors let you
create custom dictionaries that contain words you'll only treat as spelled
correctly in specific projects. If you're doing a lot of code samples, it's
almost certainly worth your while to gradually add these codewords to a
custom dictionary as you encounter them. Spend time now to save time later,
as the saying goes. For that matter, once you've got a reasonably complete
dictionary, you can distribute it to your developers and other colleagues so
they can use it too.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my
telephone."--Bjarne Stronstrup (originator of C++ programming language)

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com