Re: ADMIN: Civility and content

Subject: Re: ADMIN: Civility and content
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:40:00 -0600

I like Andrew's suggestion - I'd be very interested in trying it. Yes,
it's VERY restrictive, but the 1-post rule would really force people to
think hard about choosing what to post, and would probably instill some
self-discipline for the more prolific posters. And once that discipline
has been attained, lifting the limit to 3 sounds good.

It's a drag that it has come to this, but I agree: right now this list is
broken, and needs some fixing.

It's funny - I was just discussing this offline a couple of weeks ago with
one of my TECHWR-L friends, and had already made a concious decision to
change my own posting behavior. I was seeing far too many instances of
people using the list to be mean, to dominate, to demonstrate their
superiority in some area, and to argue without fear of repercussion. I
felt it was becoming a combination ego-feeder and angst-dumpster, and I
didn't really want to play along. Make no mistake - I often feel VERY
tempted to slam somebody, and have succumbed many times in the past. But
I'm looking at the people who find it necessary to do that almost daily,
and to me they look very small. I don't want to look like that.

So I decided to make a concerted effort to back off. To help, and to
occasionally amuse, but not to slam, tempting though it may be. So far, I
like this approach, and think that the discipline necessary to maintain it
is doing me good. So I'm in favor of this proposed group-wide focusing
effort, or something similar.

Keith Cronin
_____________________

Not a Rotary member, but impressed by their "Four Questions" philosophy:

Of the things we think, say or do:

1. Is it the truth?
2. Is it fair to all concerned?
3. Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
4. Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com